Gotta be Politically Correct...

The contents of this blog do not reflect the opinions of the US government or Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let the fun begin

   Dec. 30th 2010, I was offcially sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I will be serving in the Maradi region of Niger, Africa for 2yrs. starting at the end of the 1st week of Jan. as an Agro-forestry agent.  The swearing-in ceremony was held at the US Embassy in Niamey, the capital of Niger, and there were 41 of us that took the oath, which puts the total number of PCV's in country upwards of ~100 strong.  I celebrated by having 3 scoops of ice cream from one of the Very few places that it can be found in Niger!  The majority of my stage-mates had very traditional and taylor-made outfits made and everyone looked their finest; I on the other hand was unable to find the material I wanted and so borrowed an outfit from my host brother that is really cool.  We were treated to a very delicious dinner that evening as well with fried potatos, mixed salad, tender and delicious meat (goat), egg rolls (quite odd for Niger), and cake. 
    Once I'm posted in my village, I will stay there for 3 months before going back to the training site for more training.  I will only be allowed to leave to travel to the nearest market, 7km away, for weekly food supplies and the such and then also once a month I'll be allowed to go into Maradi for team meetings with other PCV's.  Fortunately for me, the village that I will travel to for market is also a post of another volunteer; I'm super pumped about this because she's smart and actually went to school for International Agriculture, not to mention that she's also really cool and a great friend as well. 
   I'm anxious to get started but also enjoying a few days off before I get 'installed' in my village.  There are PC hostels in the regional capitals which are a great place for us volunteers to hang out and take a break from the daily grind of typical PC life.  Examples of our amenities include: internet, couches, tv/movie room, fully stocked appliance kitchen, library, showers, toilets, and best of all other PCV's to converse and hang out with!  I will do my best to keep you informed from here on out but can only guarentee that the posts will be fewer and between as I'm starting my official 2yrs. of Peace Corp service.
   Thank you all for your support: prayers, mail, e-mail, FB, and comments on here even.  It definitely helps me and lets me know I'm loved, and I also hope that I am able to help you understand a little bit more about Niger, it's people, and the culture that I'm being blessed to get to experience as well.
    LIVEITUP,
Michael

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff man, love hearing about the African life from your perspective. Stay safe and hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete