Gotta be Politically Correct...

The contents of this blog do not reflect the opinions of the US government or Peace Corps.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

1 month into it

   We had our 1st language proficiency 'test' today which means that our language classes will change so that we're matched with other trainees that are at the same level.  Despite feeling like I am understanding the language to some extent, I feel like I did poorly on my 'test' which means could be a good thing as I'll probably be placed with a trainer that speaks some English for the duration of my Pre-Service Training.
   I feel like my body is starting to catch up with the change now: the heat, food, learning, and sleeping pattern (or lack there of at times).  I am starting to realize how important yet difficult it is to find fiber in the Nigerien diet too as we eat a lot of carbs: rice, millet, corn, sorghum, and fried dough, with the supplemental foods being beans, yogurt in a bag, oil, a little bit of meat, and some veggies (onion, potatos, peppers, okra, and eggplant).
   So far I've been able to start a garden which only has tomatoes now and a tree pepiniere with an assortment of different trees, but we won't be at the training site long enough to get to reap the benefits of them before we get placed in our posts.  They've been teaching us all kinds of things that we'll be able to use so that we're actually 'qualified' in our technical field before we leave.  The most impressive thing being a tree called Moringa ore. that I will hopefully get some seeds for before too long as I have an idea of creating a 'portable and reusable' pepiniere system.  Oz. for oz. Moringa provides more Vit. C than oranges, more Calcium than milk, and is possible the most nutrient dense food in Africa, and what's more, it's adapted for the arid climate that Niger has.
   We don't get much time for internet service at this point so this is it for now, but maybe after PST, I'll be able to be more elaborate.
  Lastly, my roommate is quite the popular one and has put together a short bio on all of us PC Trainees that are in the same Stage (FARM and Community Health 2010).  So check out his website if you want to check out our cool and diverse group...  jacobmbarela.wordpress.com
   Thanks for your support and prayers,
       Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment